Friday, August 25, 2023

Glenn's Ferry, Idaho

 I am back at Three Island Crossing State Park but this time I am headed east and the the temps are about 10-15 degrees cooler than a month ago! This location is truly an oasis with lush green watered lawns and trees surrounded by sagebrush and brown grass.


Even though my main focus, while traveling, is bird watching, I really enjoy seeing historical places like this one. This location was a main crossing for wagons traveling north and south. They still have one of the original ferries used to cross the Snake River. 



The ferry reminds me of scenes from old western movies like True Grit and The Outlaw Josey Wales! Still standing, on the north side of the river, is the tripod and pulley used in the crossing. 


In the background, beyond the tripod, you can see the wagon trail that angles down across the hill. When I think of the ease that we currently have when traveling, it increases my admiration the toughness of the men and women of that historic era! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...