Saturday, May 13, 2023

Tou Velle State Park

This morning I visited Tou Velle State Park. 



I arrived at 6:30 not knowing the gate opens at 7! After a short wait the host arrived and allow me access. I was there for almost 4 hours and traveled almost 2 miles. In that time period I spotted 60 species of birds! Even with my impaired hearing, I was almost over whelmed with a the bird sights and sounds. Among the birds I could hear where Acorn Woodpeckers,


Mourning Doves,


and White-breasted Nuthatches.


The Acorn Woodpeckers dominated the entire area that I walked. They bore holes in trees then gather acorns and store then in the holes. They constantly need to adjust the holes as the trees shrink and expand with the weather! Here is an example of a storage tree.


Here is a close up.


With the amount of Acorn Woodpeckers in the area, I was surprised to find a pair of Downy Woodpeckers!


To see the complete eBird list of todays birds and a few more pics, click here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...