Saturday, June 26, 2021

Indian Ford Campground near Sisters Oregon

 I have been almost a week and am trying to stay cool despite the high temps but it looks like most of the state is suffering with as hot or hotter than I have it here. At least there is lots of shade and a small stream I can sit in to keep cool! I have camped at this site numerous time over the last few years and one species of birds that has escaped me is the owl. This trip that changed as I was awoken my second day here to the hooting of a Northern Pygmy Owl. I spent several hours over the next few days trying to find it and get a pic but no luck. This morning I was able to see and get pics of a Great Horned Owl. 

 
It was quite a ways off and there were a number of branches in the way but I was able to use the manual focus and at least get a decent pic! There were actually 2 of them but this was the only one to land in a visible location! 

While sitting in the shade this afternoon, a large moth crashed to the ground near me and started climbing a tree. I grabbed my camera and got some pics. It was a Pandora Moth! 


As you can see, it was easy to spot while its wings were spread but once it stopped and folded them in it was almost invisible!



It certainly is amazing camouflage! You never know what you will see in the outdoors whether you are looking or not!

1 comment:

  1. Love to see you posting again! And, I'm fine with moths, and any other wildlife.

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...