Friday, June 18, 2021

Checking out caves

This afternoon we checked out a couple of nearby caves. First we went to Arnold Ice Cave. I was there about 35 years ago and was excited to show it to my son and his family. We located the cave and after a bit of searching located a trail to the entrance. To my surprise, there was no ice! We went in a couple hundred feet and except for a couple small frozen puddles there wasn't any ice. When I visited years ago, the ice was visible from the opening and it filled the cave almost to the ceiling! Despite the lack of ice, they were still thrilled to be there and were amazed that the temp outside the cave was mid 80's but once inside it quickly dropped to the 40's. From there we went to Boyd Cave


 The entrance is hardly visible among the sagebrush and juniper trees. Once again the temperature inside was in the 40's. We hiked in a couple hundred feet and could not see the end. My son and his wife stopped to pose at the exit.

From there we went to Lava River Cave but it was closed for the day so we headed back to Sunriver and dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...