Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Estero Llano Grande State Park

 I arrived in Weslaco on Sunday and and got set up in the 1015 RV park about noon. Full hookups for $399 per month. I am just a few miles from a number of birding hotspots like Estero Llano Grande. Yesterday morning I headed there with high hopes of adding to my Life Bird list. I checked in and unfortunately due to Covid, they are no longer having guided bird walks so I was on my own! I spent all most 6 hours walking the park and identified 75 species. One of my largest bird lists. Below are some of the species I could ID. First a Green Kingfisher!

There are three types of kingfishers in this area with the Green being the smallest at about 2/3 the size of the Belted which is the most common in Oregon. Next is a Black-bellied Whistling Duck.


One bird that is easy to spot is the Great Kiskadee. It is easy to spot because it is a bright yellow and vey loud and noisy!


I did ID a Yellow-throated Warbler but I could not get a picture! If you would like to see the complete bird list from yesterday and a few more pictures, click here: ebird list 

 





1 comment:

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...