Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Starr County Birding

 Today I was able to get some great photos of mostly birds while taking a 4 mile walk around the park! First the non-bird picture of Javelinas!

They were cleaning up under the bird feeders at the bird feeding station and blind! A couple of my favorites for today are Long-billed Thrasher and a Ladder-backed Woodpecker. First the Thrasher.

If you look closely you can see the woodpecker has it tongue out. I also like the way it pushed its tail feather against the bush for stability!


There are reports of Scaled Quail here in the park and I was hoping to see some at the feeder but no luck today. I did see a small covey of Northern Bobwhite!


No life birds yet but I am confident that once I start visiting the Wildlife Refugees, next week, that will change. 

1 comment:

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...