Friday, December 4, 2020

Stop and Observe

On my bird walks, I have adapted my style to include frequent stops to just staying still for a few minutes and observing. Most of these stops do not yield any special sightings but the ones that do are worth all the time spent on the ones that don't. Two stops today yielded great finds. On one stop a Cooper's hawk flew over and landed in a tree almost right above me.

I had to slowly back away to get this picture. Further on, I stopped and had a coyote walk past too fast for a picture but while watching it I noticed movement up in a nearby tree. I raised my binoculars and was surprised to see a raccoon! 


I am not sure what it was eating. I watched it for several minutes before I moved on and left it to its meal. The rest of my walk did not turn up any other unusual sights but who doesn't love a walk in the fresh air and the morning sun!

3 comments:

  1. It's amazing what you can see when you pause for a few quiet moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, maybe your best yet! I think I should give your stopping idea a try. I have a tendency to just keep moving, which probably calls attention to my presence in the bird world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Glenn, You are amazing. Thanks for sharing your birding stories and insight. Your adventures are inspiring. John - LHC, AZ

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...