Thursday, October 22, 2020

Saulsbury Wash Rest Area

 I spent last night at Saulsbury Wash. It is about 25 miles east of Tonopah, NV. It is a nice oasis on the side of the road. 

It is easy to spot as it has the only trees for miles around in either direction! They survive because the highway department has set up a wind mill that pumps water to a storage tank for irrigation! You can just see the corner of the buried storage tank at the edge of the picture.

It has picnic tables and a pit toilet but no potable water. There is some road noise but the highway thru that area is not too busy! At first glance the surrounding hills appear pretty barren but after closer inspection, you will see horses scattered about. I am told there are also desert sheep but I did not spot any.

The h0orses were to far away for my camera to get a photo where they would be large enough to see so you will just have to take my word for it that they were there! I spoke to another camper about the rest area. He has been stopping here for years as he lives in Pahrump, which is a couple hours south west of here, but spends the summers in Idaho. You might call him a sun birder as he leaves home to go north for the summer and then back home for winter! I hit the road fairly early this morning and am now at Pahranagat NWR but more about that tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying the heck out of your travels, but color me green with envy!

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...