Friday, October 23, 2020

Pahranagat NWR

Pahranagat NWR is about 90 miles northeast of Ls Vegas. The Reserve is a long strip of land along the Pahranagat River. A few miles north of the reserve is the town of Alamo. For a small town it has a well stocked market and reasonable fuel prices. I am camped at the upper lake which has 15 camp sites, 12 of which are large enough for RV's. There are 3 pit toilets along the 1 mile strip of campsites but no potable water. I was fortunate to find 2 sites open when I arrived yesterday at about 10 AM. They were actually 1 large site so I had to share. Shortly after I arrived, a van showed up and took the second site. 

By nightfall we had my set up, 2 vans and a jeep with a small Airstream trailer! Everyone was quiet and respectful so there were no problems other than it being a bit crowded. The campsites are free so I had no problem with the extra campers. The lake is low but there is still plenty of water for birds. My first list was 35 species in a 3.5 miles walk around the lake. To see that bird list and its pictures, click here: Pahranagat Lake birding list Today I birded a couple spots. One cool thing I saw was a Bald Eagle flying over the water with a large fish in its talons. I landed on the shore and began to feast. Unfortunately the distance was too great for a good picture! My new camera set up had some good features but I miss the 83x zoom of the Nikon! I am considering buy the Nikon P1000 with its 125x zoom. The temps are dropping to below freezing on  Monday morning so I may head to Lake Mead where the lows will be in the 40's. I will decide by Sunday.

2 comments:

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...