Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve

 I am back in the Las Vegas area, camping at Boulder Beach on Lake Mead. This is an annual stop as not only do I enjoy the campground but there are numerous birding opportunities in the area. They have done a lot of work on the campground over the last few years. They have paved all the roads, cemented all the camp sties and add water spigots to almost all of the sites. A waste water dump, flush toilets and potable water for just $10 a night with my federal senior pass. 

Today I went into Henderson Nevada and spent about 4 hours walking around the preserve. I identified 54 species and even though I took several hundred pictures, only a few dozen were clear enough to keep. I tried putting a polaroid filter on the camera to help with the washed out colors but it affected the focus! Anyway here are a few I kept. First a Common Gallinule.

This is a Black-tailed Gnat Catcher,


A Pied-billed Grebe,


And finally a Western Grebe.


Several of these species are present in Oregon but it is still fun to see them in another state. To see more pictures and a complete list of todays birds, click here: Henderson Birding

 

1 comment:

  1. I’m sorry that the camera isn’t as good as you wish, but WOW! 53 species is amazing-all without our help!

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...