Wednesday, October 28, 2020

33 Hole Overlook

Just a few miles from the campground is a birding hotspot called 33 Hole Overlook. It is about a 1/2 mile hike from the parking area to the edge of the water.


Last year that green area was a dry cracked lake bed covered in sage brush. Four years ago it was covered in water. It gives a good perspective on the lack of water in lake Mead. The area this side of the water has birds that prefer dry rocky areas like this Rock Wren.


Along the trail I spotted about 10 coyotes scattered from the hillside all the way to the waters edge. This one started a chorus which, shortly after, was joined by all the others!


It was an awesome treat! Near the water I saw a number of waterfowl and this Ladder-backed Woodpecker in trees along the waters edge.


The camera and I got along better today. It's abilities far exceed my skill level but hopefully with time and practice, I can narrow the gap! I think I will head back to the Henderson Bird Viewing area and try for some better pictures tomorrow.

1 comment:

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...