Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Oxbow Campground near Cibola NWR

I arrived yesterday morning and was pleasantly surprised to find only 2 other campers at this site! As I have been reporting, everywhere has been packed with Snowbirds!


The dumpster spoils the picture but you get the idea! About 7 PM, six vans rolled in and unloaded dozens of college students! My first thoughts were negative but they turned out to be quiet shortly after setting up their tents! I went birding at Cibola NWR this morning and met several other birders while walking the birding paths. We were at a bird blind over looking a small lake when I spotted some shorebirds about 300 feet away on the far side. I snapped a couple pics which, as you can see, were not great due to distance and light but I could tell they were Greater Yellowlegs.


I asked the other birders if they would give me their opinion. One fellow asked what kind of camera I had that could get such a good pictures at that distance. (I thought it was interesting that I was disappointed with the pic and he was impressed!) Turned out we have the same camera. He has been frustrated with the same focus issues I have! I gave him some tips on things that have helped me so maybe he will get better results in the future. Back at camp I was able to get some pictures of a Cinnamon Teal!


This is a beautifully colored bird but most of my pictures of birds on water are a bit washed out like the 2 above! I am still trying to figure out a setting to help with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...