Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Crooked River Wetlands - Prineville, OR

This morning I spent 5 hours walking around and birding at the Crooked River Wetlands on the O'Neill Hwy near Prineville. It is a beautiful spot to walk, hike, bike or bird! It has 5.4 miles of walking trails of which 3.5 miles are paved. I identified 46 species of birds and saw 1 weasel. It had a reddish brown back and head, a white belly and a black tip on its tail. It was too quick to get a picture but I got lots of bird pics, including this one of an American Coot and several chicks!


I also saw a very elusive Virginia Rail!


A Spotted Sandpiper,


a Savannah Sparrow,


and a Leucistic Brewer's Blackbird,


Leucistic coloring is where white colors replace the normal colors, in this case the bird should have been all black. To see more pics and a complete list of today's birds, click here: Crooked River Wetlands

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...