Monday, June 4, 2018

Wood River Wetlands, Chiloquin, Oregon

Today I visited Wood River Wetlands, a local birding hot spot. It has the highest species count of any location in Klamath County and is less than 10 miles from my camp site! The first hour there I was on sensory overload because of all the sounds and activity! Slowly I began to find focus and started to identify a number of birds and sounds. I spent about 4 hours covering a little over a mile walking along the trail. At the end of that time I had successfully identified 58 bird species including 2 life birds bringing my life total to 351! Here are a few pics to wet your birding taste buds. First a Lazuli Bunting!


Now a Black-necked Stilt.

 
Last a Ruddy Duck. This is the first time I have seen a male in mating colors with his blue bill! 


To see more pictures and the complete list of today's birds, click here: Wood River ebird check list I will definitely be going back later this week!

2 comments:

  1. Was the Nighthawk a lifer, the Bunting? Great photo of the “Blue Bill”

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Nighthawk was a lifer. Thanks, the "Blue bill" was a challenge as the light washed out the color! It took dozens of pics to get one that captured the color!

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...