Thursday, May 10, 2018

Sisters, Oregon - Indian Ford Campground

After enjoying some time on the Oregon coast feasting on home made clam chowder, fresh caught trout and surf perch, I have decided to move on to more adventures! I headed out this morning for the Sisters area. Along the way I stopped at Fish Lake to marvel at the view and make a short bird list.


As you can see, the lake is full of cold, clear water from the melting snow. In just few months, the lake will empty as the water seeps into the porous lava rock lake bed, turning it into a lush green meadow. I am at Indian Ford campground, just a few miles west of Sisters. It is a primitive campground with only a few sites and 1 pit toilet set amid large Ponderosa Pines!. There are also picnic tables and fire pits and the cost with my senior discount is just $6 a night! It is only about 1000 feet from the highway so you do get road noise.


A small stream meanders along the east side of the campground and is inhabited by a good variety of birds! I only identified about 12 species on my short bird walk but did get a Macgillivray's warbler which is my 340th life bird! I may spend a couple days here while planning my next stop!

3 comments:

  1. Macgillivray's!!! Way to go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good place to hang out. If you cross the creek, either on a downed log or walk up to the highway, you can follow a path along side all the way to Sisters. We have ridden it years ago on mt bikes when the bridge was still there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did cross the creek and followed the stream! That is where I saw most of the birds! Thx for the tip about connectivity!

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...