Sunday, May 13, 2018

More Birding at Indian Ford Campround

Birding has been fun and successful so I am still at the same campground! I started my walk along the stream looking among the aspen and willows and was rewarded with a pair of Black-headed Grosbeaks. She was foraging and he was singing up a storm! He kept being interrupted by a persistent would-be suitor whom he determinedly chased off! At this point I decided the best chance to see a different variety of birds was to detour from my usual path and head out thru the pine forest. My decision quickly paid off with being able to ID a Hammond's Flycatcher. A new life bird! I continued on and soon heard the drumming of a woodpecker. It was a distinct rapid drum followed by 4 shorter drums with a pause between them. I did a quick listen to the drums of the species I had seen here on my Sibley's app and none aligned. I move on to species I had not seen and found the drum of a Williamson's Sapsucker matched what I was hearing so I headed in the direction of the drumming! Sure enough, a Williamson's Sapsucker was perched high in a dead pine tree.


Two life birds in one day! I moved on and watched a pair of Western Bluebirds checking out an abandoned woodpecker hole for a possible nest! Overall it was a great morning! To see a complete list of this mornings birds, click here: Indian Ford bird list

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...