Sunday, May 20, 2018

Fish Lake on Santiam Pass

I spent most of my day at Fish Lake near the top of the Santiam Pass. A beautiful place to spend a day or even a night or two.


There is dispersed camping between the lake and the highway. It is a free camping area which means no facilities but the day use area has a pit toilet and it is within a couple hundred feet of the camping area. There is a short trail from the day use to the Ranger station which is built along the Santiam Wagon Road, a major route for wagons going from Central Oregon to the Willamette Valley. If you et a chance, stop and read the history boards near the Ranger station. Although the hotel and saloon are gone there are still several original buildings still standing.


Of course I took time to bird the area. Here a a couple of the species I saw. First a Barrow's Goldeneye.


And this colorful Red-breasted Sapsucker!


I am now in the Veneta area where I will stay a couple days before heading to Winchester Bay. 

2 comments:

  1. CLASSIC photo of the Lake. I love the Golden Eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look you captured of the Red-breasted Sapsucker.

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...