Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Ready to roll and with new and improved axle!

Imperial Trailers sales just installed a new axle, bearing and wiring so now I am better off for a number of reasons than before this incident! First of all the cost for all that is less than $500.
I was expecting to pay a lot more. Second, they installed new wheel bearings so that is one less concern for me. Third, the new axles have grease fitting so no more pulling off tires and wheels to hand pack the bearings!  Fourth, I have been trying to figure out how to raise the trailer for better clearance so I spoke to them about this and they ordered an axle that raised the trailer about 5 inches for no additional cost! There are a number of benefits to raising the trailer. Now my extended trailer bumper is less likely to drag on uneven terrain. I can more easily climb under the trailer to check on things. My trailer tires are now visible in my truck mirrors so that I can check on them without stopping. The trailer brake wiring is now enclosed so they are less likely to get damaged if I should encounter highway debris! Also the trailer now sets more level with the truck so when I am camping while attached to truck it is level length wise! Lots of silver linings in what could have been a very dark cloud!
I have been staying at a free BLM camping area just outside Yuma city limits on Hwy 95. Since I had to run in and out of town to have the axle work done and I was not sure about the alignment of the welded axle, I thought it best to stay close to town. It is just a large dusty lot with a few trees along the back side. There are train tracks across the road on the front side so it gets a bit noisy at times. It is a convenient place for a night or two! You are about 8 miles from fuel and groceries. I think I will head north tomorrow and spend time near the Cibola NWR to do some birding. I will see if the birding has changed much since I was there in mid January.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it is good to read of the many upgrades...and for such a good price! You're a good guy and got a good deal. Whew...what an experience. Safe journey.

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...