Sunday, March 18, 2018

Almost made it to my campsite when....

I had just turned off a main highway and was accelerating onto a side road toward my next campground when things came to a grinding halt!


Yes, that is my RV tire laying behind the RV with the wheel spindle still attached! That is a helpful police office parked there as well. A number of people stopped to offer help and advice! I contacted several tow companies and was told that without both wheels on it they could not help. Fortunately one young man from the nearby Military Proving ground stopped and gave assistance! He had a large jack and jack stand. We looked at the axle and it appeared the weld holding the spindle onto the axle had given away but looked like it could be rewelded. I made a couple calls and found a portable welding service. He arrived about an hour later and welded the spindle on. The young man repaired the brake wiring that had been damaged and I was rolling. The policeman stayed the entire time to make sure everyone working on the RV was safe from traffic. I found a free BLM campground near town where I can stay until I can get a new axle put on. The weld will probably hold but the alignment is off and will damage the tire if driven far. The welder man told me of a place just a few miles from here that can do the job! Considering that I had just driven 1300 miles in 3 days, this may have been one of the best places to have a breakdown! Not just traffic and speed wise but also with so many willingly and helpful people around. The only damage to the RV is a cracked fiberglass fender! I will make calls Monday to get an axle installed. Then back on the road!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you MUST have a guardian angel �� in that fifth wheel!!

    We are SO glad you are safe, the damage is reparable and good folks gave able assistance.

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...