Friday, March 16, 2018

Ozona TX-3/16/2018

Yesterday was the last day of my time at Salineno WP. An ornithology class from Cincinnati, OH stopped at the feeding area and quickly pointed out a Bronze-headed cowbird amongst the red-winged blackbirds! That gave me life bird #336. I have gotten 59 life birds just in the state of Texas. Texas has a wide variety of birds for several reasons. One is that it is were the eastern and western US bird ranges merge. The other is that it is located in the north/south flyway for birds that winter in Central and South America. Now thru the end of April, millions of birds will pass thru the state. I am hoping to return next year and spend time on the gulf were I will be able to see many of those species. Yesterday evening I attended a BBQ that the USFW put together as a thank you to the volunteers. They had a variety of clothes that everyone could choose from as a gift. I chose a denim shirt!
Too warm for this area but I will put it to good use back in Oregon! I had planned to visit several Texas state parks on my trip back toward Oregon but I missed a turn off and had to change plans on the fly. I checked the maps and found one on my new route but this is spring break week in Texas and it was full so I just drove on not sure where to stay. After about 8 hours of driving I spotted an RV park sign at the Ozona exit. I was too tired to press on so swung in. There is a Super 8 hotel and truck stop with an unloved RV park across the road. Only $30 for full hook ups so that is were I am. I will be back on my planned route tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. What a great life list. I love remembering each new bird!

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...