Saturday, March 3, 2018

Old growth Prickly Pear cactus

I have seen a lot of cactus this winter. Lots of species and sizes but I spotted this giant and had to get a pic!

It is hard to get a good perspective of it's size without something familiar in the pic but it is about 14 ft. tall and 12 ft. across at widest point. The main trunk is about 14 inches. The largest one I have seen up till this one was about 6 ft. tall and 4 ft. across! This is in a famers cattle feeding area and I was hoping one would wander by and get in the pic for a good size comparison! 
The number of birds coming in to feed are declining as they are starting to build nest and defend their territories. We will be wrapping things up here on the 18th and I will be working my way back to Oregon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...