Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Hole 33 Overlook, Lake Mead NV 3/28/18

Birded this morning at a number of places on Lake Mead. The most rewarding area was Hole 33 Overlook. I hiked down to the water line and identified 24 species of birds! Two of the highlights were seeing the Western Grebes performing their running on the water courtship and the other was a number of baby grebes (grebelets?) swimming along side their parents!


 There was a Ross's Goose nearby as well.


It's a bit of a challenge to see in the pic. For a complete list of birds from the Hole 33 Overlook with more pics, click here: Hole 33 Overlook ebird list. Back at camp, I hiked down to the waters edge and on the way this Sharp-shinned Hawk landed nearby.


It was chasing a small bird but gave up and landed near me so I grabbed this pic! Lake Mead has risen 4-5 feet since my visit last October. That is good news as the water level has been dropping for a number of years. If you remember my October entries, I mentioned that the water, which was once just a couple hundred feet from the campground, is now over 1/4 mile away. I hope it continues to rise as this is a beautiful area and the water contributes to that beauty!

1 comment:

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...