Thursday, March 29, 2018

Historic Railroad Trail, Lake Mead NV 3/29/2018

This morning I filled my bike tires and road the Historic Railroad trail here at Lake Mead. The trail is built over the old railroad bed used when they built Hoover Dam. It has a very mild grade so walking or riding is very easy. The hardest part of the ride was the 2 miles from my campsite to the trail itself. All uphill but not to steep. I did have to get off and push my bike the last 1/2 mile! The trail goes thru 5 tunnels on its way to the dam.


Along the way there are great views of Lake Mead! In the first pic you can see a number of islands. If you look closely you will notice a dark tip on the farthest right island. That is the full water mark for the dam! On the trail there is a pic of the lake at that stage.


The pic below is of the lake and the campground where I am staying. As you can see, the water is now a long way from the campground. Even so, it is still a beautiful place to stay!


I did not ride the last 1.5 miles to the dam so the total distance for the round trip was 9 miles and took me 2 hours. That is the farthest distance I have ridden a bike in 50 years! The last 2 miles was down hill so it was a great way to end the ride!

2 comments:

  1. Not talent. Just old man stubbornness! Tomorrow I will hurt in places anatomical charts don't even show!

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...