Sunday, March 25, 2018

Birding around Lake Havasu

I spent yesterday morning birding at Cattail Cove with my friend John West. The weather was great and we identified 26 species. That brought John and me into 3rd and 4th place for the All Time most species identified at that location. My friends Jim and Jeanette Scott are 1st and 2nd! Yes, I am competitive! This morning I went to a few favorite spots around the lake. In the past, there were lots of waterfowl but most appear to have migrated north. Other than coots, there were very few species.  One event that I have been wanting to see and capture a pic of is the courting of Western Grebes. Today I was fortunate to witness the entire process. The male started calling out in a high pitch and the female slowly approached. Suddenly, they both rose up and ran across the top of the water in their courting dance!


After the dance, they parted ways! Either they were practicing or someone did not have the right moves! As I continued on, I noticed the the Beavertail Cacti are starting to bloom!


As you can see, they have a beautiful pink blossom. I will be watching to see if other cacti will be in blossom as well.

2 comments:

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...