Thursday, January 11, 2018

Imperial Dam, CA 1/11/2018

Moved  downstream about 50 miles from Oxbow campground to Imperial Dam. The annual pass I purchased for $75 at Oxbow is good for this location. It is a nice campground right on Squaw Lake which is connected to the Colorado River..


It is just over a mile from Senator Wash where I stayed a couple months ago. This campground has flush toilet restrooms and showers! The showers are $1 for a 5 minutes. There is no potable water or waste water dump on site but the annual pass allows me to use the ones at Senator Wash. I spent 6 days at Oxbow and plan to spend about the same here so that will make 12 days on the pass so far. Since the pass is good for 1 year, if it works out that I can snowbird next year, I will be back and have no extra camping costs! 
There is good birding all around the camp or I can just cross the dam and be back to birding at Senator Wash! Last night at Oxbow, I was cleaning out the fridge and noticed the sharp cheddar cheese was beginning to mold. I trimmed it off and and just for kicks made cheese balls. I got out my fishing pole, it was still rigged for cat fishing in Oregon, and put the cheese balls on the hooks. I cast into the river but no bites so I moved upstream and cast into some back water surrounded by cattails. A couple minutes later I pulled out a 20+ inch/3 lb channel cat! I never had a catfish jump and fight like this one did! I took a pic and turned it loose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...