Saturday, December 30, 2017

Oatman, AZ 12/30/2017

I spent yesterday morning doing the Christmas Bird Count in an area north of Lake Havasu City. I had the pleasure of birding with the top ebirder in this county. Although he identified a majority of the species, I was fortunate enough to spot my first Virginia Rail! A species I have been diligently trying to see for the last several months. Unfortunately, I did not get a pic as it landed and quickly ran into cover!

Today, I went with my friends, Dawn and Rich, to an old gold mining town by the name of Oatman. Wild burros wander the streets blocking traffic and entertaining visitors. The small juveniles were very cute!


We arrived in time to watch a staged shoot-out between bank robbers who shot each other because a bag of gold divided 1 way was better than 3 ways! We stopped and had lunch at Topock66. An old marina turned restaurant on the old Route 66. Good food but a bit crowded s it is a long holiday weekend. I would recommend stopping if you are ever in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...