Saturday, February 18, 2023

Signs of Spring?

One of the things I enjoy about bird watching is it also allows me to be outdoors and in touch with nature and the changing seasons. As a young man, I spent 20 years as a logger and became very sensitive to those changes. Over the years, due to working indoors, I have lost a lot of that awareness. Birding has allowed me to rediscover some of that awareness. I have been noticing that the willows are starting to get their fuzzy little buds.


Then today while walking I spotted a lovely blooming flower!

By using the Seek app on my phone I learned that this is a Greater Periwinkle! If you have not heard of the Seek app, I highly recommend it as it has identified insects, plants and trees for me! As lovely as it is, I learned that it from the western Mediterranean area and is considered an invasive species. Now I know where the color "periwinkle" is derived from. I grew up using the term periwinkle for the larval stage of the caddis fly that build its home out of gravel. I guess you really are never to old to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...