Monday, February 13, 2023

Out and about birding.

Saturday morning I met up with my good friends, Jim and Jeanette Scott, in Newport at the Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center. We spent several hours of birding on a trail that ran along the estuary where we were able to identify 34 species of birds. A couple of species I don't often see were Brant, a type of goose, and Whimbrel!





The Whimbrel has a long curved down bill which helps in identifying! Those pics are not as good as I hope to achieve but they were quite away off and lighting conditions were not optimal. The next pics are of bird taken in my campground and with much better conditions and within 50 feet. The first is a Dark-eyed Junco.


Below are Bushtit. While editing the pics, I noticed some birds had dark eyes and some had light eyes. A little bit of research and I learned that juveniles and males have dark eyes and the females have light ones!






These are details I might have not captured if not for the zoom and picture quality of my new camera!I am very satisfied with zoom and the quality of pictures I am able to capture with this new camera! I look forward to seeing what new details I will see in all the new photos!

2 comments:

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...