Sunday, January 10, 2021

Three steps forward and one step back.

 Yesterday morning I bird watched at Estero Llano again in my effort to identify more life birds. I was very lucky to find 3 shortly after arriving! Right off the bat the Crimson-collared Grosbeak flew into sight! As soon as I realized what I was looking at I started trying to get a picture. It was an overcast morning so the picture is not to clear but works for identification!

It is difficult to see red on the red on the chest but it is there. The next bird I only heard and that is the Ovenbird. One of the hosts was walking by and asked what I was hoping to see. While talking she says "Do you hear that Ovenbird?" and pointed to the bushes right beside us. I listened for several minutes and was able to hear it despite my Tinnitus! I spent another 20 minutes hoping to get a picture but no luck. I am sure I will be back there for another try!  The third species I did not realize I got until this morning when I was looking a yesterdays pictures! It is a Tropical Parula. A tiny colorful bird that landed above me while I was waiting to see the Ovenbird!


That made three new life birds. The step back was when I received an email later in the day from the eBird monitor for Douglas county in Oregon. He pointed out a miss identification I had listed last summer. I listed a Glaucous Gull when it was a well worn Glaucous-winged Gull so I lost that bird! oh well, there are dozens more birds species in Texas that I have never seen so I am optimistic that I will be adding to my life list before I head back to Oregon! 

3 comments:

  1. I hope that you get to see the oven bird

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...