Sunday, October 18, 2020

Making modern connections to historical places

 One of the things I enjoy about traveling is discovering historical places, some of which I have not heard of. Yesterday I visited, for the purpose of bird watching, Fort Churchill. 


As you can see, there is not much left of the original fort but they are in the process of  restoration. Before visiting this area, I was unfamiliar with the fort. That is the case of many of the historic places I have come across over the last few years. It is interesting to read the history of these places like Fort Churchill which was a stop over for pioneers on the California Trail as well as a the Pony Express. Another thing that makes these historical sites fun for me is that I like to watch old westerns. One movie I watched about the early telegraph building mentioned for Churchill. Just this evening I was watching a movie with William Holden and Fort Stockton was mentioned. That is another historic spot I have visited on my travels! There are several other places mentioned in these old western that I have been to! It just makes all this even more fun! I am looking forward to more modern  connections to our history as I go along!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. I had never heard of Ft Churchill. I had to look it up of Google to see where it is.

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...