Sunday, April 14, 2019

Skunk Hollow Campground

I left Trout Creek campground this morning but not before capturing this picture of a cute pinto colt and its mother!


There was a herd of 12 wild horses across the river in the Warm  Springs Indian Reservation. The pinto colt caught my eye and I could not resist taking a picture! I am now at Skunk Hollow Campground which is 3 miles off Hwy 26 approximately 1/2 way between Madras and Prineville. They are in the progress of improving the campground by adding more sites, new picnic tables and fire rings and graveling each campsite.


The Camp Host said it is part of an effort to give climbers of Smith Rock a place to camp rather than having to disperse camp in the Ochoco National Grasslands. They hope to minimize the environmental impact on the soil and vegetation. The campground has pit toilets but not potable water or RV hookups. Single sites are $10 per night and my Senior pass gets a 50% discount. I only identified 6 species here on my 1.5 mile walk. It is overcast with a cool breeze so that may be part of the reason I saw so few. There are several biking and horseback trails nearby and some interesting rock formation up the canyon!


Since I am not a mountain biker or horse rider, this is not a place I would spend much time at but it is certainly a nice and inexpensive place to stop for a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...