Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Lost Dutchman State Park, Apache Junction-AZ

After several weeks at Cibola, I headed east and am not at Lost Dutchman State Park just a little northeast of the Phoenix/Mesa area. It is located near the base of the Flatiron mountains. Lots a Saguaro Cacti here!


Lots of birds and other wildlife. So far I have only see rabbits and birds! Cost are $20 a night with no hookups and $30 with water and electric. The have a waste water dump and potable water available. Also showers at no additional cost. Lots of tourist things to see in the area. Most pertain to the gold mining done historically around the area. I will explore some tomorrow. I did go birding in the campground and added my 370th life bird, a Gilded Flicker!


It is slightly smaller than a Northern Flicker with yellow under wings instead of orange. There are other subtle differences but the wings are the easiest indicator. To see a complete list of birds I identified in the campground, click here: Lost Dutchman ebird check list

2 comments:

  1. You lucky dog! We have never been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we were there!

    Jim has a bunch of appointments to get his cataracts removed THEN he will be a bionic Birder!!

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...