Saturday, December 1, 2018

Cibola Valley Conservation Area

While birding in the refuge yesterday I met to wildlife volunteers doing a small mammal study. e chatted for a bit and they recommended I try birding in the Cibola Conservation area as it was just a couple miles north of the refuge.


The conservation area covers several hundred acres of which part has been planted with willow and poplar trees and the other part with mesquite. I spent my time in the the willow and poplar area. The trees are so  thick and tall that it is best to walk along the irrigation canals that run crisscross thru the area. My birding efforts were rewarded with a Cassin's Vireo, my fourth rare bird for this area and time of year. Unfortunately I was able to get a good pic to verify the sighting!


My other exciting find was a Ferruginous Hawk! My 367th life bird!  I will probably bird the area again tomorrow walking a few different canals. If you wold like to see a complete list of today's birds, click here: Conservation area ebird list

1 comment:

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...