Saturday, September 8, 2018

Collier Memorial State Park


This morning I walked the trails around Collier Memorial State Park. Although my main reason was to look for birds, I struggled to stay focused as my senses were bombarded by all the wonder surrounding me!

There was the crashing in the trees as squirrels dropped pine cones to store for winter. Colorful butterflies, leaping grasshoppers and yellow jacket wasps were going in every direction! I could hear the splashing of fish as they leaped to catch insects in the nearby river. The smell of pine trees and sagebrush mixed with campfire smoke filled the air.


Despite the forest fire smoke, the sky was beautifully blue and the sun shone on all the forest making the dozens of shades of green almost glow! Even though I refer to myself as a birder, I think a more fitting term is “Outdoors-man”. I think that term better fits most people who call themselves, hunters, fishermen, rock hounds or bird watchers! Those activities are just motivators to get us off the couch and into the great outdoors!


As much as I would like to be able communicate with others the wonders of the outdoors or the mixed sense of excitement and serenity I feel when I am out there, I just don't believe the words exist. I truly believe that every person needs to take time to step away from the rush of everyday life and be amazed at what nature has to offer! Out of the billions of heavenly bodies that can be seen in the night sky, the one we live on is unique!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post. Agree, you have to be there to appreciate. And, Collier represents an unique place with it's rivers and pine trees. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...