Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Hiking in the Siltcoos area

I started the morning with a birding hike near the campground. Along with birds, I also spotted a beaver and a muskrat. I missed getting a pic of the beaver but I did get this picture of the muskrat!


Further on I saw a mother raccoon with 2 kits. In this picture you can see the mother and one of the kits!


Later I hiked the Siltcoos Lake trail with my friend Rolf! Rolf and his wife Tanja have been coming from Germany almost every year for the last 12 years to spend a month camping at Waxmrytle campground. I met them 4 summers ago while camping.


Rolf doing a bit of bird watching.


We had a great hike. Here, Rolf is inspecting a large cedar snag. He is a Forester in Germany and is fascinated with Oregon trees. They have very few trees this large left in his country! We had great conversations about how our two countries manage their forests. 

1 comment:

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...