Monday, January 22, 2018

Seminole Canyon State Park, TX 1/22/2018

Left Rockhound SP at 7 AM this morning and drove over 500 miles to arrive at Seminole Canyon SP at 5:30 PM. I drove this far to get off of the high desert with its gusty winds and over night lows in the 20's! Since it was late when I arrived, I was only able to get a pic of the sunset.


The is park set back from the Pecos river a couple hundred feet. I am looking forward to getting some pics of the area tomorrow. The river runs thru a steep sided rocky canyon. I got a glimpse of it as I crossed a bridge before arriving at the campground. It costs $20 for a site with water and electric plus a $3 entrance fee. The entrance fee will be raised to $5 Feb 1, 2018. There are flush toilets and free showers! 
I am going to stay a couple days so I can recover from the drive and take Wednesdays tour of the petroglyphs located at the bottom of the canyon. Within minutes of arriving I spotted a bird I have never seen before. Fortunately I was talking to another camper who is also a birder and he identified the bird as a Pyrrhuloxia. I don,t know how to pronounce the name but it is a new life bird!  

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, the Pyrrhuloxia! An interesting bird. Looking forward to all the new birds you will see and photograph. Jim

    ReplyDelete

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...