Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Palm Canyon AZ 1/2/2018

Went south from Cattail Cove to Palm Canyon near Quartzsite. I am camping here with Dawn and Rich. 

Not many campers here. Most are farther north near Quartzsite. Lots of Saguaro Cacti here. Some are over 20 feet, like this one!


Rich took me for a spin up to Palm Canyon on his ATV. The canyon got its name because it contains some of the last native Arizona palm trees in the state. They grow in narrow cracks in the cliffs. They are not very big. The tallest ones we saw were about 12 feet. I am amazed they can grow with so little soil and water. While hiking back down, Rich spotted a bird that I identified as a Canyon Towhee. Another life bird which brings the total of life birds on this trip to 50! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...