Friday, February 19, 2021

Almond "milk"?

The Rio Grande Valley, were I am staying, was fortunate in that the most severe weather from winter storm Uri pasted to the north and east of here. We still had several nights of mid 20 degree weather but never any snow or teen temperatures like a lot of Texas. I was also fortunate to be a full time RV'er as when the power went out, I just fired up my generator and stayed warm and cozy! What did impact this area was a lack of goods like dairy, meats and fuels. Most goods in this area arrive from other parts of the state and travel on many highways has been restricted because of the storm. I will not drive when the roads are impacted by bad weather but I was able to walk to the market just across the street for milk. Unfortunately they were out of  cows milk but they did have Almond milk. 

I figured this was a good opportunity to step outside my norms and try something new so I bought a half gallon as I can always use it in my coffee if nothing else! After tasting this new "milk" I came to the conclusion that the only thing this milk has in common with cow milk is the color!  I am sure many people enjoy Almond milk but I am not one of  them! I am not even sure I will enjoy it as creamer! on the bright side, today is the last of the cold weather and temps will return to the 50/70 range by tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully truck traffic will start to flow and the products I prefer will become available again! 

2 comments:

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...