Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Oliveira Park in Brownsville-TX

 I have been trying to find a convenient location to see parrots. I have visited several close by locations but no positive results. So after a bit of research I headed south to Oliveira Park, in Brownsville, where they have been seeing several species roosting just before sunset. A few miles north of there I spotted Green Parakeets on some power lines so I stopped and snapped a few pics.


It was a cloudy day so the pics are not the best quality! From there I continued on to the park. It was still several hours before sunset so I wandered around the park. I saw this Papaya tree loaded with fruit.


I also spotted this Gulf Fritillary butterfly!


Several locals saw my camera and stopped to ask if I was looking for the parrots. They were all friendly and gave me tips on how to see them. It turned out no tips were needed as when they showed up they made a loud enough noise to hear them anywhere in the park! They showed up about 15 minutes before sunset. With the darkening sky and the cloud cover picture taking conditions were very poor. I did get a couple pics of the White-fronted Parrots but  none of the Red-lored Parrots. I could barely make them out even with my binoculars.


The Red-lored look almost the same except the white spot on the forehead is red! Before I left there were well over 100 parrots squawking on the power lines! Right after I snapped some pics of these parrots, a Cooper's Hawk flew in and they all went to the other side of the park. By the time I walked to the new location, it was too dark for more pictures but I was very satisfied in just seeing them. I added 3 life birds yesterday making my total 422 with 15 of those new ones in Texas!













2 comments:

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...