Monday, January 7, 2019

Mittry Lake

I have been at Mittry Lake for the last week. It is just outside of Yuma near Senator Wash. Camping is free for 10 days per calendar year. There is camping all around the lake. You can camp out in the desert of right beside the lake. There is a pit toilet near the main boat ramp with several dumpsters for trash nearby it. I chose a spot among the trees a bit back from the water.


It is about 15 miles to town with easy access to shopping and gas/propane. There is good birding along the lake and in the adjoining marshes. I have found a place among the reeds that I can sit and watch birds pass by pretty much unnoticed. I spotted this Least Bittern slipping across an opening in the reeds!


I have also seen Sora and rails crossing the same spot. They are very stealthy so I have not been able to get a pic of either species! Today I was able to get a pic of some Cinnamon Teal!


My 10 days are about up so I am trying to decide where to go next. Currently this is the warmest area in the state so I am hesitant to go far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...