Saturday, September 29, 2018

Willow Creek Campground - Lakeview, OR

I spent the last 5 days at Willow Creek Campground about 16 miles east of Lakeview. A nice secluded campground filled with Pine and Aspen trees. You can stay 14 days free of charge. It has 2 pit toilets and a pump for water but the handle was missing. I don't know if it was vandalism or if it was removed by Forest Service for the season.



As you can see the Aspen are in changing to their beautiful fall colors of yellow and orange! Along one side of the campground was Willow Creek. Only a couple of feet wide with pink spotted Brook trout darting about. I used grasshoppers and caught a few. All were 5-9 inches. I turned them all loose! There was pretty good birding along the creek. The downside, for some, is there is no cell service. I even 4 wheeled up the side of a mountain on an old logging road to where I could see a cell tower in the distance. Still no service! You might wonder how I ended up in such a remote place. It is still to hot to go south and Amy's son was headed to this area to deer hunt. He has been encouraging me to come along for several years so off I went. It is about 7.5 miles on gravel road to the campground. A bit washboard in places but overall not bad and as you can see it was a beautiful spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salmon fishing with my son!

I am currently at Honeyman State Park camping with my eldest son. We have been salmon fishing on the Siltcoos lake. Friday thru Monday our c...